Sunday 25 August 2013

August Update

A few years ago, I used to hear people say they just didn't have time for this or that. "I just can't seem to find the time to go to the gym" or "Who has the time to cook at home?" and I wondered what they had going on in their lives that made them so busy.

Now I know.

I feel like I've barely had a moment to catch my breath, let alone get anything productive done. I'm constantly playing catch-up, but at least most of the things I'm catching up on in my life are pretty amazing at the moment.

Here's a recap:

I am home! I have taken a job (somewhat) locally. It's about an hour away, but at least there are no ferries and the place I work is right downtown Vancouver, right on the corner of Burrard and Davie Street. For those of you who aren't local, Davie Street is right up my alley. With its pink bus stops, rainbow cross walks and LGBT bookstores, it's known as Vancouver's Gay Neighbourhood. I am really looking forward to my lunch breaks.
I'm also really enjoying my new job so far, although I miss working at the hospital.


In writing news, a lot has happened!
I have finished the first round of edits for the first Hope Cove book: Brokenhearted. The second book has also entered the editing queue and I should have those in my eager little hands in the next couple of weeks. It's going to be a very busy few months of editing, as I will likely be working on all three books at once, but I am so looking forward to it.
The blurb questionnaires and cover spec sheets have all been sent back too, so those should be coming up in the next little while too. I really can't wait to see the covers for these. I am beyond excited.

Skylar and I received a contract for Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart. This has been such an amazing experience, writing with Skylar. We worked really well together, and after a minor hiccup or two, we put together a really great story. I love our boys and am so happy that DSP does too. I can't wait to unleash Liam and Trey on the world, but it will have to wait until the spring.

The coming two months are going to be busier than the last, but a lot more playing than working this time around. Next week is my first wedding anniversary. I am having a difficult time believing it's been a year already. In my head it only happened a handful of months ago, but the year flew by and September 1st we will be celebrating. A few days after that (four to be exact), we are going back to the Oregon Coast. We're gone for ten days.

Our first two days are going to be spent in Bend, Oregon, partaking in the Ale Trail. It's going to be a sloppy weekend, I can tell already. After that, we drive to Lincoln City where we will be stationed as we drive up and down the coast, exploring. One of my favourite places on Earth, it never gets old no matter how many times we've been there.
(If that shot looks familiar, it's because a similar one served as the backdrop to the cover for Keeping Sweets. There was a reason that book was set on the coast of Oregon)

The last two days of our trip will be spent in Seattle where I am going to be at the GRNW conference. It's the first book conference I've ever been to, as an author or a reader, and I am so excited. I have no idea what to expect, but I know it's going to be a good time. Tons of people will be there, and I know I'm going to be a little starstruck, and a lot shy, but I'm going to do my best to venture out of my shell a little to meet people.

Almost a month to the day later, we will be packing up and taking off for GRL. I've been working on swag and outfits for the past couple of weeks, and the nerves and excitement that have been somewhat present the whole time are ramping up already. Less than two months now and I'll be in Atlanta, meeting even more authors. I really can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment